Events San Carlos Sonora 2021: monthly calendars of events, festivals and fiestas in San Carlos and Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico. Find out what’s going on.
On event day, keep an eye on the local weather.
COVID-19 update. Assume all major events, meetings and large public gatherings are cancelled / closed until further notice.
- April 2. Good Friday.
- April 4. Easter Sunday.
- April 16. Mark Mulligan & Ruby B. 5:30pm, La Palapa Griega.
- April 30. Día Del Niño.
Thrift Stores & Book Stores for Charity, Church Services, Sports
Rescate Treasures Thrift Store: Safety protocols are in place with required mask, temperature check, shoe wash and hand sanitization. As of February 24, the store is open Wednesday through Saturday at 9:00am. The winter sale continues with 50% off all winter clothing. 622-240-8285.
SBPA’s Altered Tails Book Shoppe: Open Thursdays and Saturdays from 10:00am – 2:00pm. Masks are mandatory. SBPA‘s Altered Tails Book Shoppe is located in Marina San Carlos. The Book Shoppe validates parking. Donate to SBPA.
The Tecalai Library is open Fridays from 9:00am – noon. Masks are required and social distancing must be maintained. This library is open to the public and is a book exchange.
Castaway Kids Thrift Store: We are happy to accept your donations. Kristian is upstairs in the office on Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and on Saturday from 9:00am – noon. She can help you to drop off your donations. If there is something specific that you are looking for, email email@example.com to make special arrangements.
Club Deportivo: Ceramics and crafts Tuesdays from 9:00am to 1:00pm. There are new pieces available for ceramics, mosaics, painting rocks, sewing or bring your favorite craft to work on and share with the group. COVID-19 protocols such as social distancing and masks will be complied with.
San Carlos Community Church: Public worship services on Sundays at 9:00am.
San Carlos Borromeo Mass schedule: daily at 5:00pm in Spanish; Sunday at 8:00am in English and 9:00am, 11:30am and 5:00pm in Spanish. Also, there is bilingual rosary at 9:00am on Mondays in the main church.
Cherie Althauser’s yoga for healthy aging classes. 8:30am – 9:45am. 91 Loma Bonita, Villa Hermosa. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Carlos Adventurers Group meets on Sundays to do outdoors activities like hiking, kayaking, diving, boating, etc. Everyone is welcome. Check out the facebook page for announcements on the week’s activity.
Pickleball: There’s open play at Mirador Courts from Monday – Saturday mornings. For more information, including membership, click here.
San Carlos Senior Softball: 10am on Tuesdays and Fridays at Montgomery Field in the Ranchitos (map). New players welcome — we even have a few spare gloves. Come on out and have some fun. Don’t forget your sunscreen. For more info, contact Murray at 622-227-0282.
- May 1. Dia del Trabajo (Labor Day)
- May 3. Día de la Santa Cruz. Construction workers decorate and mount crosses on unfinished buildings.
- May 5. Cinco de Mayo is not observed as a national holiday in Mexico, but all public schools are closed.
- May 9 & 10. Mother’s Day events in San Carlos (this year, Mother’s Day in USA and Canada is Sunday, May 9 and in Mexico is Monday, May 10).
- May 15. Teacher’s Day in Mexico.
- May 16. Medio Maratón Guaymas. 6:30am.
- May 29 – 31. Tucson Sailing Club Spring Regatta.
- May 31. Memorial Weekend.
Book Your San Carlos or Guaymas Vacation Rental (with Booking.com)
Last Season Events San Carlos ….. (stay tuned for more 2021 events)
- May. Guaymas (Cet del Mar) Paddle Event.
- May. Festival del Pitic in Hermosillo.
- May. Carrera 6 Horas: 6 hour mountain bike race.
- May 22, 23, and 24. The Ladies International Fishing Tournament.
- May – June. Yacht Club / Rescate Fishing Tournament.
- June 1. Dia de la Marina (Mexican Navy Day). Official Mexican holiday. Celebration in Guaymas.
- June 14 & 15. 7th Annual Marinaterra Dorado Derby Fishing Tournament.
- June 20. Summer Solstice.
- June 21. Father’s Day in Mexico, Canada & USA.
- July 5 – 7. 72nd International Billfish Tournament (Ernesto Zaragoza Foundation).
- July 10 – 14. Annual Festival del Mar Bermejo. Daily special events such as dance, theater, cinema and music at various locations in Guaymas. To commemorate the anniversary of The Battle of Guaymas, which occurred on July 13, 1854.
- July 18. Anniversary of the death of President Benito Juárez (March 21, 1806 to July 18, 1872).
- July 30. Anniversary of the death of Miguel Hidalgo, leader of the Mexican War of Independence (May 8, 1753 to July 30, 1811). This is NOT a national holiday.
- August 8. Anniversary of the birth of Emiliano Zapata (b.Aug 8, 1879, d.April 10, 1919). 2019 marks the 100th anniversary of the death of the historic leader of the Mexican Revolution, Emiliano Zapata, and Mexican President AMLO signed a decree declaring that 2019 is the Year of Emiliano Zapata.
- August 17. SBPA Used Bag of Books Sale. 10am – 2pm, Altered Tails Book Shoppe.
- August 31. Guaymas Anniversary. On August 31, 1769 José de Gálvez founded the town of Guaymas and assigned the first plots: Civic Ceremony at 8:00am in Three Presidents Plaza. Concert by the Banda Sinfónica de la Secretaría de Marina at 7:00pm in the Guaymas Auditorium.
- September 1. Annual State of the Union.
- September 7. Labor Day (USA & Canada).
- September. Foto Sonora Guaymas.
- September 13. Los Niños Héroes, Hero of the Mexican-American War 1847. Battle of Chapultepec.
- September. Cruce de Bahia Miramar (swimming race). CANCELLED 2020
- September 15. Gran Fiesta Mexicana at Colibrí’s.
- September 16. Día de la Independencia / Mexican Independence Day. Mayor’s State of the City address.
- On Friday, September 18, Rosh Hashanah will begin at sunset and end at sunset on Sunday, September 20. Happy New Year (shana tova)!
- Yom Kippur 2020 will begin in the evening of Sunday, September 27 and ends in the evening of Monday, September 28.
- San Carlos will again be featured in HGTV’s Mexico Life in episodes airing September 27 & 28.
- October 4 & 5. San Carlos will again be featured in HGTV’s Mexico Life.
- October. San Carlos Hammer Down Tournament. Cancelled 2020 – see you in 2021.
- October 12. Día de la Raza in Mexico (Day of the Races / Columbus Day). It is not an official holiday.
- October 12. Thanksgiving (Canada).
- October 15. Mexican Pacific League baseball 2020-21 regular season starts with Naranjeros de Hermosillo at Navojoa and Mexicali at Obregon. The Naranjeros’ season home-opener is at 7:30pm on Tuesday, October 20 against Los Mochis.
- October 16. Mark Mulligan’s “Welcome Back San Carlos” Party. 5:00pm, La Palapa Griega. La Palapa will be serving their popular All- You-Can-Eat BBQ chicken and ribs, served with Greek salad and baked potato, for 240 pesos. Reserve your table at the restaurant or call 622-226-1888.
- October 17. Mark Mulligan & Mike Nash duo show. 5:00pm, La Palapa Griega. No cover, regular menu. Reserve your table at the restaurant or call 622-226-1888.
- October 24. L’Etape by Tour de France, San Carlos 2020. 7am. POSTPONED … new date not yet known
- October 29 – November 22. ExpoGan Sonora and Palenque in Hermosillo. POSTPONED from April 23 – May 17, 2020.
- October 29 – 31. Festival de la Calaca. San Carlos & Guaymas.
- October 31 – November 1. Tucson Sailing Club’s Annual Fall Regatta.
- October 31. Happy Halloween. Halloween Parties.
- November 1-2. All Saints Day & Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) is an important Mexican holiday.
- November 5. The Men’s Golf League will play every Thursday at 9:00am in November and December. If you’d like to play, just show up. For more information, contact Dave Boyle (email@example.com) or Jim McAdie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- November 5. Colibrí Restaurant & Bar 4 year Anniversary Party. 6pm – 9pm.
- November 7. Welcome Back Party with Los Country Coys. 4:30pm – 7:30pm, Delfines Bar and Grill.
- November 9 – 20. Buen Fin.
- November 12 Postponed. Rescate Welcome Back Margarita Party.
- November 14 Postponed, and every Saturday thereafter. Rescate Marketplace. 9:00am – 1:00pm, Rescate Clinic parking lot. All vendors are welcome (artisans, cooks, crafters). For more information and to reserve your space, call 622-126-2112 or 303-246-0275.
- November 16. Día de la Revolución (Revolution Day) observed third Monday in November, originally November 20. This official Mexican holiday commemorates the Mexican Revolution of 1910.
- November 26. USA Thanksgiving. Click here for a list of restaurants hosting special dinners.
- December 2. Christmas Tree Lighting. 5pm – 8pm, Colibri. In support of Agua y Mas Orphanage.
- December 6. Medio Maratón San Carlos. 6:30am.
- December 6. “Kick off the Holiday Season” Boat Parade. The boat parade will start at dusk (approx. 5:30pm) from the San Carlos Marina. The lighted boats will be going along the shoreline past the beachfront restaurants down to San Francisco beach and then turn around just past Charly’s Rock.
- December 10. Hanukkah begins in the evening and ends in the evening of Friday, December 18.
- December 12. Día de Guadalupe (Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe).
- December 16-24. Las Posadas – nine days of traditional festivities.
- December 24. Noche Buena (Christmas Eve). Christmas Eve dinners around town.
- December 24. San Carlos Yacht Club Lighted Boat Parade. Watch the Parade of Lights from La Palapa Griega, El Mar Restaurant, Los Arbolitos, Turquesa or the beaches.
- Let Embarcadero Cocina + Bar do the Cooking. Order today at 622-225-2020, ext. 04, for pick-up on December 24 or 31 and enjoy a delicious meal at home.
- December 25. Navidad (Christmas Day). List of dinners, etc.
- December 28. Día de los Santos Inocentes (The Holy Innocents) is a National Holiday similar to April Fools’s Day, celebrated with lots of practical jokes.
- December 31. Fin de Año/New Years Eve. List of special dinners and parties.
- January 1. Año Nuevo / New Years Day is an official Mexican holiday.
- January 1. San Carlos Riders Pajama parade. Meet at Tortugas at 9:00am. Parade will leave about 11:00am.
- January 6. Día de los Reyes Magos.
- February 1. Día de la Constitucion (Constitution Day) is February 5, but is observed the first Monday in February. It is a public holiday.
- February 7. Super Bowl LV (55) showing in sports bars and restaurants around town. See list of locations and food & drink specials.
- February 14. Valentine’s Day. Specials dinners around town.
- February 24. Día de la Bandera Mexicana.
- March 15 (3rd Monday in March) — day off to commemorate Benito Juarez birthday on March 21, 1806. Schools and many businesses are closed.
- March 17. St. Patricks Day Take-out dinner. Club Deportivo. Tickets will be on sale soon as CI Bank for 300 pesos.
- March 17. St Patrick’s Day Dinners around town.
- March 19. Mark Mulligan back at La Palapa Griega.
- March 20. Bodega Liquidation. 8am to 11am, Club Deportivo parking lot.
- March 28 – April 4. Semana Santa (Easter week from Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday).
Holidays, Festivals, Fiesta and Special Events
Events San Carlos is a list of the major annual Holidays, Festivals and Fiestas and special events in San Carlos & Guaymas, Mexico.
Whether you’re looking for information on a Mexican Holiday or holiday, you’ll find it here.
Keep Exploring … San Carlos
Read the San Carlos Newsletter